Saturday, February 6, 2010

Reflective Journal (II)

After exchanging views with our fellow classmates during CDE classes, I admire Google's style of handling their workers and the management style. Back when the time Google was up on the stock market, people complained that the base price of a unit of share is far too expensive (USD 100+) and now, people started to realise that the price is indeed very reasonable because of the creativity Google have and at the same time, the unique ways they adopt to counter issues.

We had an captivating discussion on why Google is so attractive towards workers. As expected, most of us mentioned about the free massage, free sport facilities and the awesome canteens with free food. However, there are also some of us that mentioned that the stretchable working hours is even more attractive. Besides that, Google also gives their employer 20% of their time to work on their own ideas and projects. I found all of them equally interesting, however to let them be effective towards productivity, the employee definitely need to have integrity. Without integrity, all of this will just become an excuse for the employees to slack.

At the same time, we also discussed whether Google or Apple will be more accepted in China. Most of our classmates mentioned that Chinese prefer to work in an environment which specific instructions are given and not much creativity will be required. Thus, companies that gives much freedom and requires alot of creativity will certainly not work in China and instead, companies like Apple which have a powerful CEO (in this case, Steve Jobs) to give every command in details will then be accepted in China.

Despite the fact that Chinese prefer to work in en environment that is dull and boring, I believe that it’s because they do not uphold interest in their own work. If someone finds his work interesting, I believe he will get the job done whole-heartedly.


- -
I believe confucianism plays a major rule in the current China due to the dramatic increasing amount of social problems China have at the moment. China leaders also realized that by educating the newer generations of Chinese citizen with the idea of confucianism will probably bring down the amount of social problems. Currently, the Chinese in China is not bonded and all of them are looking into personal gains which are selfish and not improving together as a whole.

Confucianism will certainly help by bringing the chinese citizen together as it encourages harmony, integrity and respect. By using confucianism as a moral-foundation for all chinese citizen, they will understand each other better and improve as a whole and it can probably decrease the rich-poor gap in China.

China’s economic prosperity over the past 2 decades had caused Chinese to forget the good values they had before and all they want is money, money and more money. We can also see this from the fact that corruption in China now is more significant than the past. By preaching the new generation of Chinese the confucianism ideology, they will change and bring back the moral that Chinese had long lost since the economic boom.

Therefore, I can conclude that Confucianism certainly plays a major role in China as the basic moral ideas are what chinese citizens are lacking. However, whether or not this idealogy will be planted on the newer generations still remains a myth.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alvin!

    I loved every bit of your journal. Save for a few spelling errors (like "idealogy" in your last paragraph) and some small tensing errors, but otherwise, your journal was a brilliant article that was a pleasure to read.

    Your points were clear and distinct, and it was very obvious from each paragraph what you were driving at. I agree with most of your points.

    The point that I like the most amongst your journal was the conclusion on the point of Confucianism. I liked how you gave a general statement instead of giving a strong stand.

    I'm glad you share the same sentiments like me about the class discussions. Just like you, I felt that the class discussions were captivating and insightful. I'm sure both of us have benefited from class discussions and have had a deeper understanding about the cultural differences and similarities between companies.

    All in all, it was a wonderful journal that is on par, if not better than your previous. I enjoyed reading it a lot.

    Yours,
    Ming Kit

    your classmate of 3B1

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI ALVIN,

    With regards to your reflective journal, i feel did u did a pretty good job in summing up the good points about the Google's management and how it helped the company to gain popularity over the years.

    You also mentioned about the negative aspect, which is all the policy and management styles will go down to waste if the employees are not responsible enough or have the integrity to complete their work efficiently. I totally agree with you. However, i feel that you missed out a point on the effect of this lack of integrity on the peer-to-peer review system. Without the necessary integrity value in the employees, peers might just misjudged a potential project due to jealousy or private issues.

    Moving on to the Confucius part, i like your detailed and organize explanation of why Confucianism played a role in CHina. You first mentioned that the Confucius ideas will help to solve social problems, mainly corruption. It will also bring the people together and could reduce the rich and poor gap.

    All in all, although you might have missed some of the points of negativity of the google management style and having some grammar or spelling errors, apart from that, you did a very good job reflecting on the positive points of Google, especially on the Confucianism part. I definitely enjoyed reading your reflective journal.

    Regards,
    Clarence Lee

    ReplyDelete